I am a native Granite Stater who had a rural N'Hampsha upbringin' - born in Littleton, raised in Lyman, schooled in Lyman (2-room school) and Lisbon. Attended college briefly (Notre Dame) in Manchester circa 1976.
I grew up around farms and as a teen I worked mowing lawns and haying. Previous to becoming a full-time cartoonist in 1988 I worked in furniture and shoe factories in Lisbon and at a few North Country print shops, most notably with The Courier Printing Co. where I began editorial cartooning at the age of 20 for The Littleton Courier. My run with the Courier ended in 2015.
• Worked as freelance editorial cartoonist for the Concord Monitor from 1987 to 2016.
• Have drawn a syndicated weekly comic strip, R.F.D. for King Features Weekly Service since 1992.
• Gag writer for King Features' comic strip Barney Google & Snuffy Smith since 2001.
• Freelance editorial cartoonist for InDepthNH 2017 and again 2019 -2021.
• Created political webcomic The Beach in 2016-2020. The strip was mainly a vent for my trump steam.
• Created NH politics webcomic UP on the HiLL in 2017-2020. It was a reader-funded strip using the Patreon crowd-funding platform.
At one time or another my editorial cartoons have appeared in the following NH newspapers:
The Littleton Courier
The North Conway Reporter
The Hanover Gazette
The Plymouth Enterprise
North Country Weekly
The Granite State News
Carroll County Independent
The New Hampshire Business Review
I've been married for 32 years and have two awesome adult stepchildren and two adorable granddaughters who call me Grampy Mike.
I reside with my left-wing politics in Chesterfield, NH -- halfway between the gloriously liberal bastions of Keene, NH and Brattleboro, VT.
I don't like winter. I do like Maine, Maui and the Red Sox.